It isn’t uncommon for men to get started down a career path that was once exciting and rewarding only to find that, years later, they don’t have the same passion for it they once did. While it isn’t wise to up and quit our job simply because it doesn’t thrill us like it once did, those feelings may be a sign that we have changed and may be ready for a change. And, for those just getting started in their career life, this is a question you are wrestling with.
I do have one piece of advice that I wish I had given to me when I first started out: Live simply and be open to change. What I mean by this is, don’t get so wrapped up in a particular career that changing is hard. We can get wedged in by the money we make, the number of cars or size of house, and it makes jumping out and doing something different rather difficult.
Here are some things to think about that may help you head in the right direction:
- Are you creative or analytic?
- Do you want to be active or sitting around?
- Do you like to travel?
- Do you like people and need interaction?
- Does charitable work appeal to you?
I don’t think I have ever talked to someone who tried to change careers and wished they hadn’t. I think there is something exciting about pursuing something new that is in itself a reward for our soul.
- Fireside Topic articles are interesting topics to get men talking. Find a few friends and throw a question out there and see what develops. Read more here. -