Growing up I remember hearing how important college was to get a “good” job. Most of this advice came from older people, grandparents and people with adult children. Many people go to college just because it is the next phase in education, when they really don’t know what they want to do or be in life. Some people go thinking that it is a guarantee for higher pay when they get out. Others go just to get away from home and party.
Here are some questions to help with the discussion:
If going to college:
- Is college really necessary for the career you are seeking?
- How much will the student loans set you back vs. the increase in pay?
- Why are you really going? To learn or to get away from home?
If you have kids:
- How important is it for them to go?
- What are the benefits from college that you want them to have?
- Does it matter which college they go to?
- Fireside Topic articles are interesting topics to get men talking. Find a few friends and throw a question out there and see what develops. Read more here. -